Nashville Punk & Underground Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New Hardcore Band!
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 am by Benjy

» New Band! The God We Create
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 9:54 am by Benjy

» Street / Pop punk
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm by TheSteve

» Askultura SE tour: Monday, Jan 21st @ The End. $5.
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 pm by patchesmcfeely

» WHITE REAPER
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:30 pm by NickWilkerson

» Thee Dumb-Ass Marrys
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 8:04 pm by chilontes

» hey dudes i need help
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 7:51 pm by wakmaster

» Show help August 7th
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 3:35 pm by bridgeunderfire

» Female Vocalist looking for band
Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:21 pm by wakmaster

Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!!

+5
Mike_Sims
fearofbirdshit
wakmaster
Emmanuel
Riotgrrrl56
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! Empty Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!!

Post  Riotgrrrl56 Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:48 pm

My friends and I are throwing a Fem Fest Benefit Show in support of Murfreesboro’s Domestic Violence Shelter who are in dire need of funding.

When? Saturday May 7th 9PM-2:30AM

Where? Murfreesboro’s Temptation Club (2404 Hall Hills Pike which is only a minute from MTSU.)

(21+)

$3

.:::LINE UP:::.

Dirty Dee & The Sweaty Meat

Commonwealth of American Natives

Sephra

Cycles

(And we are waiting to hear back from a couple of other bands)

**Also Expect**

A RAFFLE- Free ticket upon entrance. $1 for additional ticket. ( Please e-mail Dawn Duncan @ namastezin@yahoo.com to donate items.)

Belly Dancers!

Live Art & Face Painting!

FREE Zines!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join the facebook event @
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100735063347077

<3 Daisy Salinas (Riotgrrrl56@yahoo.com)

---We are trying to get girls to break their silence and have their voices and ideas be heard as well in a male-dominated local music scene---

Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! Devotchkas021

Last edited by Riotgrrrl56 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riotgrrrl56
Riotgrrrl56
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

http://myspace.com/likesnowlikegold

Back to top Go down

Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! Empty Re: Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!!

Post  Emmanuel Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Get on shoulders of giants on that shit!
https://www.facebook.com/onshouldersofgiantsband
Emmanuel
Emmanuel
Red Wings
Red Wings

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=578509143

Back to top Go down

Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!! Empty Re: Fem Fest Benefit w/ Dirty Dee & Commonwealth!!!

Post  wakmaster Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 pm

---We are trying to get girls to break their silence and have their voices and ideas be heard as well in a male-dominated local music scene---

really?

thats it ladies, here's your one chance...... cause us dominating males are only allowing this one show.

wakmaster
wakmaster
Black Belt
Black Belt

http://myspace.com/wakmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Riotgrrrl56 Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:52 pm

By male dominated I meant most local bands are composed of male musicians. I didn't mean that males are inherently dominating or don't accept women in the music scene.
Riotgrrrl56
Riotgrrrl56
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  wakmaster Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:44 am

fair enough.

but this is the most tolerant music scene and probably the most tolerant and diverse of all subcultures. I should hope females don't hold back for fear of being made fun of or persecuted for being female in the punk rock scene.

i honestly think there aren't as many girls in music because guys and girls are wired differently. i hate to say it but most feminist bands seem not to realize that*. i like bikini kill's music, but i don't think that sylvia plath's story is told to girls because all girls who write will probably commit suicide. i think when i bought that record in 98 or so, that was the first time i realized propaganda works both ways.

*i can't sing for shit, but i'll sing off key with no shame in front of anyone. my wife can sing really well, she just doesn't want to do it in front of people. we are wired differently. she's wired like the majority of girls and i'm wired like a lot of dudes.

wakmaster
wakmaster
Black Belt
Black Belt

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:43 am

I strongly support anything that goes on to help the domestic violence center. Mitch is a Great guy by the way and he helped my family out a couple of times.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

http://120000ft.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  wakmaster Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm

true dat...i wish it wasnt on a saturday, i work every saturday.
wakmaster
wakmaster
Black Belt
Black Belt

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_Sims Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:42 pm

wakmaster wrote:---We are trying to get girls to break their silence and have their voices and ideas be heard as well in a male-dominated local music scene---

really?

thats it ladies, here's your one chance...... cause us dominating males are only allowing this one show.

Yeah, that comment did come off pretty bad. Considering ya got Dani singing for Beat Officers, the girls that were in Trampskirts, Dirty Dee, our old singer from CSD has a new band and she's definitely female. And there's some girls that sing for metal bands here in town. One of which is my old friend Bambi Graves, and like Wak said, this is one of the most accepting music scenes I've ever seen. the benefit for the shelter is a good thing, but don't use it to make it sound like the guys in bands around here "dominate".
Mike_Sims
Mike_Sims
Admin

http://www.myspace.com/radiodeathwave

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 pm

you know, that domestic violence center is open to help out anyone of any gender. I think I see what you want to do with the benefit and all but it just sits weirdly with me how this reads. That's just me though.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Riotgrrrl56 Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:16 pm

AGAIN, by a "male dominated music local scene" I meant that there are more males musicians than girl musicians. I WAS NOT SAYING THAT MEN ARE DOMINANT.

I was using it in this definition:

dom-i-nate

verb

to be predominant in

AND the music scene is predominantly made up of males. Hence, it is male dominated. I’m sorry if the word “dominate” offends you. I was not meaning to use it in a negative way. The point of this post was to get people to come to Fem Fest.. not to argue about semantics.

Wakmaster---
I agree that the Nashville scene is very tolerant and open to diversity. I just stated that the majority of bands are primarily males and that I would like to encourage and see more girls start their own bands. In means of being "wired" differently, I hope you mean socially because there is nothing biologically "different" in males or females that makes one or the other more inclined to perform in the punk/metal music scene. Men and women are wired differently biologically (chromosomes, sexual organs) and the reasons they are wired differently otherwise is because men and women are both socially constructed to act in certain ways. (Women are taught to be emotional, passive, etc and Men are taught to act un-emotional, and strong, etc.) I am not saying that women and men necessarily act these ways but the majority of them are taught to act in such ways.

What do you mean by propaganda?

Feminist bands, such as Bikini Kill, do realize the difference between girls and guys because of the gender stereotypes that we are conditioned to follow. Bikini Kill, which included a guy (Billy the guitarist) were trying to help both girls and guys by letting people know that they should be themselves. That's what feminism is about.. breaking social gender stereotypes and promoting equality for both women and men.

And as for Sylvia Plath, I don't comprehend how you're correlating that with Bikini Kill and propaganda.

Mike Sims--
How did what I said come off pretty bad?

Again as I said before, "By male dominated I meant most local bands are composed of male musicians. I didn't mean that males are inherently dominating or don't accept women in the music scene."

I was simply saying that there are more male musicians than girl musicians and I would like to encourage girls to start their own bands. I know the majority of the girls you just mentioned and they are awesome but they are still a minority. We can only name a handful of girl musicians while there are thousands of guy musicians in the Nashville area.

Fear of bird shit---
I am well aware that the domestic violence shelter helps any gender but women are the majority of domestic abuse or sexual assault victims. I never said that men were not affected by this though. I don't know how what I said "sits weirdly with you".

Riotgrrrl56
Riotgrrrl56
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:21 pm

It wasn't an attack or anything, My line of thinking was that seeing as men are not helped out anywhere as much as women are with this place they none the less should be encouraged to help out . For some people on this board and in general they may see that there is a benefit show and be in a band. They even might want to help out and play at a benefit for the domestic violence center. The fact that it's a stipulation that women need to be involved in the music project kind of kills off any chance of getting people to play who are in a one person project and are male or a band with no women in it.
I don't know... maybe it would be more time constructive for me to point out what a sham the domestic violence court and specifically Judge XXXXXX is in Rutherford county. I mean like that guy hasn't taken bribes before. I used to care a lot about this subject but because of how things roll down hill around here I have little or no faith in how things go down. I know that the domestic violence center is good but they have one lawyer at their disposal and a biased legal system to work in. Until enough money can be raised to buy off shitty judges like that ball bag all the funding and donations going to the domestic violence center will pretty much be filed in the "good thoughts and well wishes" section of do goodery.

-EDIT- I feel that it is important to remove any specific names from this post because based on personal experience certain members of said establishment have take on a roll above and beyond their allotted job description or authority to personally punish people in our community.

Also, I know this might have come off as being mean or "I know more than you do" or what ever but I really am frustrated with our alternatives in what we can and can't do to get help. I have no problem with helping out but I don't see a couple dollars helping to fix the situation.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_Sims Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:49 pm

The point I was making is that it made it sound like the women in this scene don't open their mouths. Not that it was an attack on men. My point is that there are actually a lot of women in this scene that play music or are involved in the music business in Nashville in general. To me, you made the women of Nashville sound weak and quiet when they are actually strong and very vocal. No offense, but I hate when someone new comes into this scene and thinks they've know what's goin on. Obviously you don't look at what's going on with Samantha running Boa Clothing, The girl Terry who used to run Karma, the girls that are in the Nashville Roller Girls, The girls that are in Music City Burlesque and Panty Raid, and all the women that are actually in bands that I've already mentioned and haven't mentioned.

Yes, the benefit you are promoting is a good thing, but don't accidentally belittle all the strong, vocal chicks in this scene with a statement like wanting to see women speak up in a male dominated music scene.
Mike_Sims
Mike_Sims
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wakmaster Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:01 am

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/bikinikill/bloodyicecream.html

i thought i made that clear with the "when i bought that record" line. that's what sylvia plath has to do with bikini kill. it's absolutly propaganda when the result is a female listens to that and corelates "them" with any male teacher or authority figure that comments on her writing. yeah, they had a dude in their band, but that does not mean that their lyrics promoted equality.

Once fear of bird shit brought up the shelter, i felt a bit shitty for arguing "semantics" when there was a bigger issue involved. in fact, he was trying to squash this mess from the get go.

mike was also trying to educate you on how many females we know and hang out with and SUPPORT in the local music scene.

i don't give a shit how new you are to nashville, everybody gets their say and contributes to the scene and we love you for it.

but.....

this is the definition of dominate: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dominate ...who is arguing semantics when the very last (and least used) definition is what you supposedly meant. you won't cause so much controversy if you just say "mostly" from now on.

i don't do any of those definitions and this is how i really feel.......

if you think males dominate this scene, there is an underlying inferiority complex you should address.

there is ABSO-FUCKING-LUTLY a biological difference between males and females when it comes to performing music.

Did you grow up in society? are you programmed to believe certain things? do you follow those things? NO! Do you think females who have heard punk rock at least once in their life and actually enjoyed it thought: "woah, this ain't very ladylike, I better not try to perform in this style of music". Hell No! they either want to play that shit or don't. If she actually enjoyed this music, she's probably smart enough to figure out a way to do what she wants.

it reminds me of my anthropology class last summer. My teacher said playing with barbies leads to an unhealthy body image. I asked if she played with barbies as a child. she said yes. I asked the girls in the class who thought barbies led to an unhealthy body image. all raised their hands. i asked who played with barbies as kids. All raised their hands.
......it seems to me that playing with barbies doesn't lead to anything except the knowledge that the toys are unrealistic and shouldn't be associated with actual human bodies.

besides all that, if you go to a show (unless its alucard, those handsome devils) the majority of the crowd are dudes. i think it says alot about nashville's females that we have so many female band members and female owned and ran businesses. i think there's a pretty good ratio there. this is proof the society issue is bullshit. After the society issue is discredited, biology is all that's left.

all you are doing by putting females and males into two seperate catagories is creating a rift in the scene. if you don't believe that, go to any of these females' band's shows. there will be alot more females in the crowd who you will NEVER see at any other show. if you are trying to recruit folks for the scene, don't differentiate because we need all the people we can get. We are all punk rockers here, and if you ask me, that's what equality is all about.

...and if feel you are being dominated by some males because they gave you a hard time before, it's not because you are female, it's because you talked shit to dudes that were AGREEING with you.

(i use the term females (alot) because we had to say that in the army and got used to it. we couldnt say "the girls" because it implies that they are young or inferior. anyone who thinks the army is insensitive or male dominated or racist or any bullshit like that was not in the army in the last 15 years.)

wakmaster
wakmaster
Black Belt
Black Belt

Back to top Go down

Post  wakmaster Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:07 am

and i think what "sits wierdly" for FOBS were my arguementative comments on what was supposed to be a positive event.

edit... or the arguement in general.
wakmaster
wakmaster
Black Belt
Black Belt

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:41 pm

talk about sitting weirdly, I had to tape a gauze pad to my leg last night. It wouldn't stay put so I just ran tape all the way around my leg. I sat down and the tape dug into my leg big time. I couldn't get the tape off and it was caught in my leg hair. I have to say this was the worst band aide incident of my life.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_Sims Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Not to keep beating this to death but I have a female friend that I ws talking to about this thread last night and I tried my damndest to get her to voice her view of the whole thing. She's pretty insulted by the comment too. She said that it made it sound like the girls in the scene were wimps. But I guess she's not worried about having her voice heard. LOL
Mike_Sims
Mike_Sims
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:05 pm

it pissed my wife off too.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Riotgrrrl56 Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Okay. Once again, I apologize if what I said was misinterpreted. I clearly in no way meant to offend any local female musicians or belittle their efforts and talents, seeing as I said I’d like to SUPPORT female musicians. I don’t feel the need to reiterate what exactly I meant by what I said earlier. I would never want to make any female musicians feel inadequate or disregard what they do. I never said that local female musicians are weak or don’t have a strong enough voice. I only intended to encourage those not already in the scene who want to be to have their voices heard.

*In response to the issue of biological differentiation, read this (short) article:

Bayton, Mavis. “Women and the Electric Guitar.” In Sexing the Groove: Popular Music and Gender, edited Sheila Whiteley (London: Routledge, 1997): 37-49.

Bayton specifically addresses this issue: “There are no physical reasons for the lack of female guitarists. Women are just as musical as men, and at any age they can acquire the strength and skills required to play any instrument in any style of popular music. Women are just as capable of becoming rock musicians as men are. Lead guitarists are made, not born. The reasons for women’s absence are entirely social.” (p. 39)

It’s a really insightful article. And, this is not the only academic scholarship written on this subject.

*In regard to the comments made about supporting and donating to the domestic violence shelter, I find it truly unfortunate that one would argue that doing such activities is basically pointless. Because it’s not. It’s a good cause, and the fact that this notion is being questioned and even argued about is absurd.

Mike_Sims wrote:No offense, but I hate when someone new comes into this scene and thinks they've know what's goin on.

* In response: It took me years to finally find a music scene in which I truly felt accepted and that my opinions matter. I thought I had found that in the Nashville underground punk scene. Comments like these encourage unnecessary elitism and pretention that excludes a lot of amazing punkers and people. No one should be disregarded just because they are “newer” to a scene that someone else. Punk rock is one of my only reasons for living. Partly because I think it represents acceptance of marginalized people, who typically aren’t included elsewhere.

"Where else could they belong? Not in their high school, with the arcane codes & social norms that struck them as fake & pointless. & Not with their families, where drugs, abuse, & domestic dysfunction often made home like one more thing that had to be escaped. After surveying all the possibilities available to them-God, sports, drugs and booze, conforming to the culture around them-they had chosen PUNK. Punk made sense to these girls; it was one of the only things that did."- Sara Marcus in her book "Girls To The Front"

I have chosen punk because it makes sense to me and again.. I hope that you all understand that I would never want to make men sound “dominate” over women. Again, I meant “male-dominated local male scene” in the sense that there are predominately more male musicians than female musicians. Again, I would never want to make any female musicians feel inadequate or disregard what they do. I never said that local female musicians are weak or don’t have a strong enough voice. I only intended to encourage those not already in the scene who want to be to have their voices heard.

Riotgrrrl56
Riotgrrrl56
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:38 pm

thanks for invalidating my points. I'm glad that you are making an effort to help out that place and all but I guess you don't have much first hand knowledge in how the court system works around here though.... when you get the free domestic violence lawyer you do not in any way stand a chance in beating some one with a $500 and hour high strung mercenary who has no qualms about greasing the palms of judges. I think that's what I was saying... I would be more than likely to want to help them out with something specific none the less...
the short answer is that I can not afford to give that specific organization money because they could not do enough to help my wife prove that he ex husband violated a protection order three times in two weeks. Now we have court costs, the sheriff comes by my house when we can't pay them... They can do a lot to a certain point there which is have some one is a suit help you and five other people out in domestic violence court. After that fails then some one will talk to you a few times about how shitty it was... there should be a better way that things can be done and no amount of rocking out is going to help that. They spend every nickel that they get there helping people out and it's still never going to be enough. simple fact.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 pm

besides all this my leg is better and now nothing is making me sit unwell.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Riotgrrrl56 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:39 am

I agree with you that the court system has a lot of flaws and I am really sorry what happened to your wife. That’s fucked up you have court costs, etc. over that. I absolutely agree that there should be more things done in order to help battered or sexually assaulted victims. There is a lack of women’s perception within law. For instance, self defense is usually thought about in terms of home invasion or 2 men in a fight but it is not addressed enough in terms of what goes on inside the domestic sphere, within the home in cases of spousal abuse.

Although the Domestic Violence Shelter cannot help everyone, I strongly believe that they can help victims in many ways: “It is committed to ending violence and discrimination in the lives of victims suffering the pain, fear, and shame of domestic abuse.” We must do what we can with what is offered to us until more establishments are made to help out these victims. Supporting the shelter won’t end completely end Domestic Violence and it won’t end the injustices found throughout the court systems, but it will help some women and men and that is what is important.

I'm glad your leg is feeling better!! Hahaha. cheers
Riotgrrrl56
Riotgrrrl56
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:54 am

I think we should just split the difference and point out how many kids, that is minors, that this place helps out directly with their own domestic violence concerns as well as indirectly. That's something non gender related yet none the less maybe more devastating in terms of damage done and possibly setting up people to fill future rolls of victim and possible abuser, that is if their situations are never addressed.

I don't want you to think that I'm the enemy though, I'm not. I hate this good old boy system more than is healthy for me. Like I said earlier though I really have no faith in the "system" to do anything much more than do what's easiest and make the least amount of waves.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  wakmaster Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:17 am

i'm not argueing that women are physically unable to play.....I've jammed with helacious female players that put me to shame(but that doesn't take much).

you're still ignoring that many females don't want to play. it has nothing to do with any social background. my girl used to be all about the riot grrrl stuff. she used to wear a slip with no dress and all that, but she doesn't want to perform in front of people. it's the same reason why more dudes play thumps, or ride bulls or do any stupid shit we do. (like that commercial on the radio where the guy wants to spend his prize money on a rap video).

my girlfriend will give you better examples because for some reason i don't think the shit she rolls her eyes at is wierd.

if anything it seems like you are pressuring girls into thinking that society has programmed them a certain way and the only way they can be themselves is to do what you tell them and get out there and get their voice heard.

if used in the same definition as you used, what if I asked for dudes to start writing more zines and blogging more? its time we had our voice heard in these female dominated forms of expression. if you read that would you defend what I said as adamantly as what you said? if you don't think females dominate those things, look at all the stuff you asked me to read. (which I probably wont because I dont like to read. presumably because i am a dude)

my stepdaughter grew up around her cussing, drinking, smoking, tattooed, riot grrrl, punk rock ass mom, me and other "aware" punk rockers, but she is the sweetest, pink wearing-est, my little pony loving, girliest girl you ever met. how can you say biology isn't responsible for that? yes she watches cartoons with commercials directed at girls, but would that part of her nurturing play a more important role in her demeanor than her parents at 6 years old?

wakmaster
wakmaster
Black Belt
Black Belt

Back to top Go down

Post  fearofbirdshit Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:28 am

speaking of zines. you know another cool think the boro has that isn't too usual around these parts is a zine library in our actual library. I'd like to make a zine. That might be fun.
fearofbirdshit
fearofbirdshit
Red Wings
Red Wings

Back to top Go down

Post  wakmaster Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 am

actually this site was trying to do a zine for a minute called eat grits and die. i think not enough people were contributing so the powers that be cut it out. actually most of the contributers were the females who used to post more on this site. and the gay dudes who are too good for our humble site since it switched to the blue background!!! now they hang out with former presidents and shit.

if they still lurk on here, i wish they'd holla at me, i miss the arguements.
wakmaster
wakmaster
Black Belt
Black Belt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum